With the passage of time, the nature of crimes (specifically breaking and entering) has evolved. Now, burglars can enter your home without your knowledge. Sometimes, there is no sign of forced entry as well. Considering these factors in mind, you have to make sure that your home entrance is safe. Along with that, you also have to keep a constant check on your surroundings. You can do so by installing security cameras at your doorstep.
Now, this solution might be happily ever after for some people, but it might not work for everyone. In some sensitive locations, there is a need for 24/7 security. In case, there is not enough power or the internet is shady, you need to have a backup. This backup can be anything as long as it does not require electrical energy. The best one among a whole lot is a solar powered security camera. It will work a lot better than the conventional camera that you have in your house. A solar powered security camera will provide you real-time high definition video, that too, all day long. This means it will run without interruption, even in case of emergencies.
Join the club, if you belong to any of the below categories:
- You live in a vicinity where there is less to no AC Power.
- Your current camera gets stuck and you need a safe alternative.
- You are always on the go; therefore, you need a camera that doesnot require much maintenance.
- You live in a sensitive location and require a security camera that runs perfectly in all conditions.
A solar powered security camera is what you need in your house. This security camera will come in handy for those as well who work in remote areas. Furthermore, the parts of the world where the concept of cables is still an expensive affair, solar cameras come as a convenient option. What further makes the solar camera stand apart from the crowd is that these cameras have a long lifespan (more than 10 years).
In this article we will largely focus the importance of a solar powered security camera and how can you use it toyour advantage.
What Is Solar Powered Security Camera?
In simple words, a wireless camera, which is powered by a solar panel, is known as a solar powered security camera. With this kind of camera, there is no need for lengthy wires and/or high voltage.
It contains rechargeable batteries and the best part is that it does not require long hours of charging. It will also work exactly how you want it to work in extreme weather conditions. Its main purpose is to provide top of the line surveillance where you need the most security.
- Water Proof
- Easy installation and removal
Before we jump into details, let’s get to know how exactly a security camera functions.
How Do Solar Security Cameras Work?
Once you place it near sunlight, it will automatically charge itself. The solar panel absorbs sun rays with the help of solar cells.
The Magic of Solar Cells
These solar cells transform light into a current that is deemed necessary to run the camera.
Here’s how it goes:
- Initially, the solar cells produce DC power that goes through an inverter.
- The inverter then modifies the current to a suitable voltage (AC current) that has enough capacity to operate the camera.
Note: At least 12 volts is required to run the solar camera.
Things to Consider:
- The size of the panel will largely depend on the location.
- Once fully charged, these solar panels will store excessive power. It can be later used in an emergency.
- As long as you have enough sunlight, you can remain sure that the camera will work efficiently.
Outdoor solar powered security camera
5 factors to consider when installing solar powered security cameras
- The competence of the panel plays an important factor. Normally, a solar panel produces 256 watts. This is considered sufficient for your home security camera. However, in case, you require more power than you need to install, efficient solar panels that will produce more electricity.
- Make sure that wherever you are placing the solar security camera, it has enough sunlight so that the battery does not have to work extra to run it. Therefore, you have to carefully scout the area that offersample sunlight. To get maximum exposure, you have to put your solar panel directly towards the sun. Remember, not to let it covered by any shade. Most importantly, look for any possible hurdles that might jeopardize the working of the camera later on.
- The battery size should also be enough so that it works well in all conditions. The one thing that you should focus on most is that the battery voltage should produce enough power. You might not always be around to monitor the camera. Therefore, it is the best interest of anyone to buy the battery that has 5x times capacity than your original use. It will allow you to prolong the life of the batteries, which otherwise might be damaged due to excessive use.
- Without a doubt, storage is one of the most important factors when installing a solar security camera. What good a camera would do if it haslimited storage capacity. Therefore, it is in everyone’s best interest to buy the camera that offers huge storage. This way, you can also create some backup. Another convenient option would be to store the content in the cloud and access it anytime you want.
- In solar security cameras, a few motion sensors are installed. Thus, they have a built-in feature of sending you alerts. However, if there is no Wi-Fi, then you might not get live footage. In a case like this one, there is no need to worry. With a solar camera, you have the option of watching the live feed on your phone. This is due to the fact that it will run its autonomous operation with just a cellular signal. Hence, if there is no Wi-Fi, then data connection will come to your rescue!
Lastly, one should not ignore the cost of a solar powered security camera. You might have to initially spend a considerate amount of your money. However, with the kind of features that it provides, it is definitely worth the financial risk. The only reason that should consider is that with time, it will not require much cash on maintaining. Due to its long lifespan, you will not have to replace it anytime soon.
Recommendation read: How to Set Up Outdoor Security CamerasHow to Install Outdoor Solar Powered Security Cameras? Click To Tweet
9 ways to camouflage your outdoor home security cameras
The idea of displaying a camera so that everybody can see it is not something many of us want. Therefore, we look for ways to hide this solar camera. To help you further, we have prepared a list of 9 ways to camouflage the ‘virtual watchman’ of your home.
How About a Bird Nest?
You can hide one of your outdoor CCTV cameras in a bird’s nest. This way, nobody will reach it easily, and even if they did, it will require some effort to climb the tree.
In a Fake Lamp
The idea of putting a solar security camera in a fake lamp has been adopted by many people. It might seem to some like the lamp does not work. However, only you will now that not only it works well, but to its fullest.
In a Tire
In case, you no longer use your tires, then you might use put your solar security camera in one of them. This way, you will have a discreet look at everyone who visits your house.
Time to go Undercover
One of the most creative ways to hide your camera would be to wrap it under the cover of your favorite TV character. Once you place it in your front yard, people will have the impression that it is just for decoration. Nobody will ever suspect that it is specifically for monitoring purposes.
Place it in a Daffodil
All gardening enthusiasts can keep a check on their beautiful plants. They can safely place a solar camera on their favorite plants (say daffodil). Just make sure that there is enough path for sunlight to come in.
In the mailbox
Now, this might not be the most secure place. However, you can take steps to hide it as much as you can. Any intruder might check this but if they can’t find the camera, then you have succeeded in hiding it in plain sight.
In a Clock
A big clock is one of the best places to hide a camera. It will allow you to observe anyone who is doing any odd activity.
Behind a Painting
Some of you might have seen something similar to this in a movie. It indeed is a good option to hide your solar powered security camera.
In a Mirror Box
Putting a camera in a mirror box will not only enhance the beauty of your doorway, it will also keep your house protected.
Recommendation read: Top 5 Places to Locate Your Security Cameras
A Final Word
After taking into consideration the benefits of a solar powered camera, you might as well install one at your home entrance. A camera like this will bring all kinds of convenience. It will further provide the desired security that you need. Consequently, not only will it save you a lot of time, but money as well.